Thursday, March 10, 2011

Eye Surgery

When Asher was around seven months old I took him to get his vision tested.  We were told due to Asher's brain bleed and other complications he should have routine screening of both his vision and hearing.  I had both tested when he was around seven months old.  When I went to get his hearing screened I was a nervous wreck.  I was so worried that this was going to be one more problem that we were going to discover.  Thankfully he passed with flying colors.  Shortly after he had an appointment to get his vision tested and I wasn't worried at all.  I saw him everyday I hadn't noticed anything out of the ordinary.  When I was told that he had strabismus I was really surprised.  I had looked at this beautiful baby everyday for the last seven months and hadn't noticed any crossing.  I guess love really is blind because when I went back and looked at his pictures it was very obvious.  His strabismus was caused by a damaged nerve behind his eye due to the hydrocephalus.  We initially tried patching his good eye to see if this would encourage the weak eye to strengthen but realized pretty quickly that surgery would be necessary.


This surgery to date has been the most difficult as far as recovery.  I had to keep him from rubbing his eye and because of the botox he was given at the time of surgery he was unable to open the eye.  It took over a month for his eye to get back to somewhat normal.  There are still times that I feel like he drifts but his Dr has assured me repeatedly that everything looks great.

No comments:

Post a Comment